Community Discussion: Animal Companions, Familars, and Summons

Anything server related here.

Moderators: Tandamar, Hellsgrim, Solomon

LoneNurgling

Community Discussion: Animal Companions, Familars, and Summons

Postby LoneNurgling » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:19 am

This thread was started to gather feed back on thoughts of how the modules' animal companions & friends feel. Do they feel to weak, to lacking? Is there something you think we are missing? Well bring up any discussion on it here. Please try to stay on topic.
LoneNurgling

Re: Community Discussion: Animal Companions, Familars, and Summons

Postby LoneNurgling » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:27 am

I'll start this thread with saying that 2.6 will have a bunch of new animal companions and we are currently reviewing the summons of certain classes such as blackguard. We also are looking at tweaking Familars and adding more. Another note, Tandamar and Clang reviewed the pale master and it's summons we're put into line, this is live now.
Tandamar

Postby Tandamar » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:29 am

The Pale Master summons are completely redone and very customized
LoneNurgling

Postby LoneNurgling » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:06 pm

Anyone have ideas for a replacement for the blackguard summon?

Got this from D20
Upon or after reaching 5th level, a blackguard can call a fiendish bat, cat, dire rat, horse, pony, raven, or toad to serve him.

but seams rather weak to me.
LoneNurgling

Postby LoneNurgling » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:06 pm

Anyone have ideas for a replacement for the blackguard summon?

Got this from D20
Upon or after reaching 5th level, a blackguard can call a fiendish bat, cat, dire rat, horse, pony, raven, or toad to serve him.

but seams rather weak to me.
Clangeddin

Postby Clangeddin » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:20 pm

Even if they seem weak on appeance, they can be easily buffed in stats and levels scaling up with Blackguard class level or other attributes.
That said, if the appearence does not satisfy you, perhaps a hell hound would work? (Isn't that what they are summoning already by the way?)

As for companions in general, I feel that animal companions are probably fine for druid and cleric, but they are lacking for rangers and the reason is simple: rangers cannot buff em up like full casters can. To make rangers more appealing you could give em a special feat (at level 20) that boosts the animal companion automatically whenever summoned.

If I remember correctly, we also had buffed all the Summon Monsters I-IX spells, increasing their duration to permanent (on Vanilla they last only a few rounds) and making them a lot more viable.
LoneNurgling

Postby LoneNurgling » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:26 pm

Yes i saw that on the D20 rules, more feats that benefit the companion for the blackguard, how ever im not quite sure what feats they could take in nwn2.
Tacticus001

Postby Tacticus001 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:47 pm

I was thinking if the more heavily armored themed classes were to have squire companions. by adventuring they have earned a reputation and a follower who wishes to travel with and learn from. I think this would fit well with the Armiger and Knight classes but should be given a companion at lvl 12 with a -3 HD. This is because that should be a high enough lvl to prove that the PC is dedicated to some degree to the class. This link is an open gaming source I found on drivethrurpg.com. The squire shown is intended for a paladin but me personally cannot see a paladin carrying around a shoe shine boy XD
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8CQpI7i-CFFd2VUem9FYUtGcmc/view?usp=sharing

Also maybe change the blackguards dire rat into a fiendish dire rat, or just giving it properties to make it that, and adding a Disease or poison DC to each attack it makes(I'm not sure if it already has that).
Dew Rivertree- Brownie- Ranger/Thug/Tempest

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese"
Corruption
Site Admin

Postby Corruption » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:10 pm

I like Tacticus' idea, its tough to get nwn2 to mimic tabletop D&D since there are no mounts and no double weapons (because they cut them out).

Return to “General Discussion”